Featured -- Pastor Visits India
Pastor Visits India---While you were ringing in the new year drinking nog, Pastor Greg was in India visiting villages and schools and teaching a class for area pastors. Greg traveled with a group from ServeTrust Ministries.
ServeTrust's mission is to minister to the physical and spiritual needs of the poorest in Indian society. It began in 1992 by providing sewing training for sex workers, and today ServeTrust has a range of projects for those marginalized by poverty, hunger, commercial sex work, old age, HIV and leprosy.
While there Greg was able to view the amazing architecture of the Taj Mahal, but his favorite moment was a perspective bending walk through a small village in the forest reserve.
Pastor Greg was invited to teach at a school for Pastors in India. More than 40 pastors attended. Many traveled several hours to attend.
These children used to beg at the entrance to a Hindu temple. Because of ServeTrust they have uniforms and school supplies so that they can attend school.
Featured -- 50 Year Celebration
March 1960 Vote to Purchase 9.2 Acre Francis Kenny Farm For $81,000. 30x90 foot chicken house remodeled to serve as the original chapel for 125 congregants. Seven Locks Road Mission is born.
- 09/02/1960 1st VBS attended by 65
- 09/11/1960 1st Worship
January 1961 1st Pastor, Rev. Kenneth Joner called. Moved into the white famhouse which was converted into a parsonage with a church office and classroom space in the basement.
- 02/22/1961 Named "Congressional Heights" Mission. At that time this high point in the otherwise undeveloped Potomac countryside was to be called "Congressional Heights". The area was named for the nearby Congressional Airport (1929-1958). In 1958 the airport was plowed under to build Congressional Plaza. Also built in 1958 was the Washington National Pike (later I-270) which forever separated the church from her "Congressional" namesake.
- 12/06/1961 Date Set for Constitution
- 01/17/1962 Constitution and Bylaws adopted
February 4, 1962 1st Service celebrated as a church, with 48 members and 11 awaiting Baptism, (budget was $19,765).
February 1963 1st Anniversary was celebrated with the groundbreaking of the new church (cost $125,000, sanctuary for 350 and classrooms for 300)
- 05/06/1963 Cornerstone for new church laid
- 07/28/1963 1st Worship in new church
- 08/25/1963 New church dedicated
- 1964 – Air Conditioning installed, Annual budget now $44,1965
May 1966 Last Service by Rev. Joner
August 1966 Rev. Joseph Dalton called
January 1967 A New Direction Community Patterns Changing. Car culture is making “neighborhood” churches a thing of the past. New programs are offered for young people.
- October 1967- Scout Troop 1434 is founded.
- April 1968 – a Nursery School is started.
- The Deacons Task Force on Youth Ministry is begun.
June 1970 Rev. Ron Mallow is called (only 3 original families left)
1971 A Year of Changes for Worship and Bible Study. 1971 saw the addition of new instruments and vocal groups to worship services. A children’s sermon and dismissal for their own children’s worship is begun. Modernization also comes to Sunday School where Bible Study classes are no longer segregated by sex. A bus ministry is started.
October 1971 – Coffee Houses held in the Coop have an average attendance of 100-150